Music Notes Academy began teaching private music lessons and group classes at a well known private school in Somerset County in 2009. We brought our comprehensive private music lessons to their school, as well as drum circles and performance opportunities for their students. We were their music program.
For our 2012-2013 school year, we brought back our Music Notes In Your School program, this time for Early Childhood Group Music Classes. We designed and instructed the program for Whitehouse Preparatory School in Whitehouse, NJ. In our 2014-2015 school year, we began teaching private piano, guitar and uke classes at Whitehouse Prep.
Your private school (or public school) can have a music program too, that is designed to meet the specific needs of your student body, curriculum and district. We will work with your district to offer a comprehensive music education program that will enhance your students overall education.
Music Notes Academy @ WhiteHouse Prep
Little Notes Music Classes
Children learn music in much the same way they learn language. Infants and toddlers do not learn to speak through formal discussions about adjectives or through exercises in labeling subjects and predicates. Instead, children learn the rules of language informally long before learning the formal rules of grammar. Research suggests musical development works in a very similar way. Until a child has had ample time to informally explore the language of music, it is meaningless to talk about formal concepts like key signatures, dynamic markings or eighth notes. Just as infants and toddlers learn to speak through playing with language, children need plenty of time to play with the language of music long before beginning any formal musical training. This is the purpose of our LittleNotes classes at WhiteHouse Preparatory School. Through research-based musical play within a song-based curriculum, children develop a strong foundation in the musical skills they will later need to be successful in formal music instruction.
- Rather than simply talking about music, music is continually experienced through live performance
- Children are encouraged to approach music as active doers rather than as passive consumers
- Musical concepts are introduced informally through research-based developmentally-appropriate activities
- Children are exposed to engaging music in a variety of meters/time signatures and tonalities
- Children learn songs and rhymes from around the world
- Children are introduced to a variety of instruments – piano, guitar, ukulele and percussion
Little Notes PreSchool Music Classes
- The focus is primarily on developing listening skills, but the children are always encouraged to join in making music to any extent they are comfortable
- Children practice keeping a steady beat at various tempos
- Children explore musical opposites – loud/soft, high/low, short/long, fast/slow
- Children experiment with using their voices in a variety of ways – speaking, singing, whispering and shouting
- Children expand their musical vocabularies through listening and responding to music in a variety of meters and tonalities
Little Notes KI Music Classes
- Children continue to build upon all the foundational skills introduced in preschool
- Children further develop their vocal ability, practice singing in tune and gain confidence in solo singing
- Children learn multicultural songs and rhymes in a variety of meters and tonalities
- Children expand their listening skills through imitating rhythm and tonal patterns
- Children use creative movement to reflect tempo, dynamics, melodic contour and the form of pieces of music
- Children practice cheating and imitating beat movements
Little Notes KII Music Classes
- Children further develop all the skills explored in previous years and learn more multicultural songs and rhymes in various meters and tonalities
- Children expand their musical vocabularies through rhythm and tonal solfege exercises
- Children begin to read and write musical notation and practice translating music they hear into written notation
- Children experiment with creating music through improvising songs, rhythm patterns and tonal patterns
- Children are exposed to a variety of music by famous composers from throughout history
Music Notes Academy @ WhiteHouse Prep | Private Lessons
We offer private instrumental instruction for students of all ages, from early childhood through adult. There are several opportunities for performances and evaluations at Music Notes Academy. Talk with us for information on music lessons at WhiteHouse Preparatory School in Whitehouse Station, NJ.
“Music Notes Academy has a tradition of musical excellence and learning based instruction that creates musicians who understand the concepts as well as the performance of music.”
“What a great experience our 3 year old has had in the Little Notes program!! Great teachers and a well run school!”
“What a great school. We love Mr. Steve! He teaches at our school and the children just love him!”